Want to Install an Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment?
You may be wondering why your business should install an electric vehicle charging station? While the number of charging points for electric cars is growing, they are still not that common. There are a variety of smartphone apps and services that help consumers find EV charging stations. With these apps and services, businesses can potentially see an increase in new traffic as consumers find them on maps of charging points.
More importantly, along with the increased traffic, these customers don’t stop and charge for 10 minutes, usually it takes longer and the time spent on your business increases as a consequence. Linger times are important for retail businesses that see customer purchases grow the longer these customers remain at their locations.
To top it off, market research has shown that most electric car buyers are rather affluent, having an average income of over $150,000 per year.
Here’s what you need to know:
As Electric Vehicles (EVs) become increasingly more popular with Ontarians, EV Charging Stations will need to be installed on residential, commercial and industrial locations.
To have an electric vehicle charging station, there are some requirements:
- The installer must take out a permit (also called an Application for Inspection) with the Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) prior to starting the installation.
- Installation shall be in compliance with the Ontario Electrical Safety Code (the Code), specifically Section 86– Electrical Vehicles Charging Systems.
- Installation is required to be done by a Licensed Electrical Contractor (LEC)
- Equipment must be certified for use in Canada by a nationally recognized certification agency –CSA, cUL, cETL or display other certification marks approved by ESA.
- A Certificate of Inspection will be issued by ESA once the installation is in compliance with the Code.
- Any rebates will require a copy of the Certificate of Inspection issued by ESA
For all the reasons above, you need to work with ESA certified experts like Agentis Electric. If you wish to explore your options or are ready to install an electric vehicle charging station for your business, give us a call or contact us.